Please complete the application form carefully and as clearly as possible so that we can assess it properly. Be precise and provide enough detail to ensure the application is clear, particularly as to the indigenous peoples’ beneficiaries, the context, gender mainstreaming and women’s empowerment, how the objectives and the activities will be achieved, the benefits that will generate and the way in which it is relevant to the beneficiaries as well as the Facility’ objectives. Please ensure that you submit only one application within the deadline of 30 June 2008, using the standard application form, without exceeding 8 pages.
Eligibility of applicant organizations
Applicant organizations must meet the following criteria to be eligible for a grant:
- The applicant must be an indigenous or tribal peoples’ community or organization or a not-for-profit/non-governmental organization designated to act on its behalf (Application Form, items 1, 4);
- The applicant must be legally registered under applicable law, and its headquarters be located in the country of grant implementation. The country must be an IFAD developing Member State (Application Form, item 12);
- The applicant must attach a copy of the legal registration to the application form;
- The applicant should have an established bank account in its name and be able to receive international financial contribution under applicable law; (Application Form, item 5).
- Applicant should not be implementing an IFAD grant at the time of the application.
Applications from organizations without legal registration, or applications from individuals applying in their personal capacity are not eligible.
An Indigenous Peoples’ community or organization may ask a legally registered not-for-profit organization, NGO or a local institution such as a local government (municipality, tribal regional autonomous district etc.), to act as applicant and recipient of the grant on its behalf. In such cases, the relationship between the indigenous or tribal community and the recipient entity must be made explicit in the application form. A letter of the beneficiary community signed by the leader/s and representatives of the community, delegating the applicant organization to apply on their behalf and stating the free, prior, and informed consent of the community, must be attached to the application form. Address of the representative/s of the indigenous or tribal people benefiting from the project must be indicated. (Application Form, item 4).
Eligibility of applications
The proposed project must directly benefit indigenous peoples in a culturally appropriate, sustainable, and gender inclusive manner and address issues central to indigenous peoples’ aspirations.
Applications must meet the following criteria:
- Applications are sent completed using the Indigenous Peoples Assistance Facility Application Form. Applications that do not follow the standard format will not be considered.
- Applications are received within deadline. (The deadline is 30 June 2008, at 24.00 hrs, applicant organization’s country time).
- Applications are accepted only in English, French, and Spanish.
- Applicant can submit only one proposal. If an applicant submits more than one proposal, only the first one will be registered and considered.
- Plan of Work is attached to the application and indications on how the project would be completed within 12 months (Application Form, item 34).
- Proposed project budget requests range between US$10,000 and US$30,000 (Application Form, item 31).
- Administrative and personnel cost cannot exceed 20% of total project budget (Application Form, item 31).
- Budget must be submitted in US dollars only and must be itemized (Application Form, item 33).
- Taxes and currencies exchange losses are ineligible costs.
- The contribution by the applicant organization must be minimum 20% of the requested amount and must be itemized. Contribution can be in cash or in kind (such as personnel costs or use of local facilities), and must be itemized and expressed in US dollars (Application Form, item 33, 4th column).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Evaluation and selection of applications
All eligible applications will be reviewed according to the criteria listed below Final decisions on projects will be made by the Indigenous Peoples Assistance Facility Board based on to the following criteria, and taking into consideration geographical distribution, gender and issues addressed.
- Project relevance: to assess the extent to which the project objectives are consistent with the needs of the community and responsive to their own livelihood circumstances. Relevance of objectives with one or more priorities set by the Indigenous Peoples Assistance Facility.
- Project feasibility: to examine if the proposed project has a practical and sound approach and adequate budget to fulfil its objectives in one year, as well as to create mechanisms for sustainability.
- Institutional capacity: to determine whether the skills and qualifications of the staff involved are adequate to implement the activities of the project and achieve the objectives.
- Institutional credibility: to verify overall reputation and credibility of the applying community or organization.
Documents that must be attached to the application
Check list for applicants
- Copy of the certificate of legal registration of the organization under applicable law; (applications received without a copy of the legal registration will not be considered eligible);
- Work plan for one year;
- In case the applicant organization is different from the beneficiaries, a letter of the beneficiary community signed by the leader/s and representatives of the community, delegating the applicant organization to apply on their behalf and stating the free, prior, and informed consent by the beneficiary community.
Before submitting your proposal, please check if your organization and proposed project meet the following eligibility criteria;
- Your proposed project is benefiting an indigenous or tribal peoples’ community or organization. The name of the indigenous or tribal peoples beneficiary of the project is indicated under item 1 of the application form;
- Your organization is legally registered as a non-for-profit organization and its headquarters is located in an IFAD developing Member State;
- You are enclosing a copy of the certificate of your organization’s legal registration in the country of grant implementation.
- Your organization can receive international financial contribution under applicable law;
- Your organization has an established bank account in its name in a bank that accepts international transfers, details of bank account have been indicated under item 5 of the application form;
- Your organization has the financial and control capacity to receive and manage funds under applicable law, and upon requested can provide a copy of the annual audit of the organization’s account or any other external or internal assessment of the organization’s internal controls;
- Your organization is not implementing an IFAD grant at the time of the application.
- Budget is in US dollars and it is itemized;
- Budget includes 20 percent match amount to be financed by the applicant organization.
- Budget for personnel and administration does not exceed 20 per cent of total project cost.
- Your completed application does not exceed 8 pages.
- Your organization is submitting only one application.
Where and how to send the application
Applications and respective documents should be submitted electronically to:
In case of inaccessibility to internet, applications can be sent by post mail to the address below before deadline:
Ms Antonella Cordone
Coordinator for Indigenous and Tribal Issues
International Fund for Agricultural Development, IFAD
Via Paolo Di Dono, 44
Questions may be sent by e-mail no later than 20 days before the deadline for the receipt of proposals to the following email address: email@example.com
Notification of the Indigenous Peoples Assistance Facility Board's decision
Applicants will be informed in writing of the Indigenous Peoples Assistance Facility Board’s decision concerning their application.
The date on which IFAD plans to announce the decision following the completion of the award procedure is 30th October 2008, this date is indicative only.