On 13 February 2013, Kanayo F. Nwanze was appointed by acclamation as President of IFAD for a second four-year term. A Nigerian national, Nwanze has a strong record as an advocate and leader with a keen understanding of complex development issues. He brings to the job over 35 years of experience across three continents, focusing on poverty reduction through agriculture, rural development and research.
Under Nwanze’s guidance, IFAD has stepped up its advocacy efforts to ensure that agriculture is a central part of the international development agenda, and that governments recognize the concerns of smallholder farmers and other poor rural people. As an intellectual leader on issues of food security, Nwanze has been a member of the World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council on Food Security since 2010, and formerly chaired the group.
During Nwanze’s tenure, IFAD has increased the number of outposted country programme managers and country offices. This heightened field presence enhances IFAD’s direct supervision of its projects, benefiting Member States, partner institutions and project participants alike. As a result, IFAD has become a valued and results-focused international development partner, is delivering a much larger programme of loans and grants, and extending its reach to more people.Read more
Kanayo F. Nwanze curriculum vitae
- Statement by IFAD President to the opening session of the Thirty-seventh Session of the Governing Council
Arabic | English | French | Spanish
- Opening statement by IFAD President at the Fifth Global Meeting of the Farmers' Forum
- Speech by IFAD President at the Leading Group on Innovative Financing for Development
- Statement by IFAD President at the NEPAD-IFAD workshop on mainstreaming agriculture and food security risk management in CAADP implementation and inauguration of the Platform for Agricultural Risk Management (PARM)
- Statement by IFAD President on the occasion of the signing ceremony of the United Nations system participation contract in Expo Milano 2015
- Read all statements and speeches
Latest speeches and statements
Pro-poor investment in agriculture: interview with Farming First in London