IFAD and Nepal to review progress in reducing rural poverty
IFAD Asset Request Portlet
IFAD and Nepal to review progress in reducing rural poverty09 December 2019
Kathmandu, 9 December 2019 – The Independent Office of Evaluation of the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and the Government of Nepal are holding a one-day workshop to share the findings of an independent evaluation of IFAD’s operations in Nepal over the last seven years (2013-2019).
Discussions will address the key issues and strategic priorities to be included in IFAD’s new strategy for Nepal that will promote development effectiveness, with the aim of supporting smallholder agriculture, rural transformation and eradicating rural poverty in the country.
Workshop participants will also explore how IFAD can best support Nepal in connecting remote rural households and communities to markets, and overall, how rural development project implementation efficiency can be improved.
Government representatives, development partners, civil society organizations, private sector partners, national project staff, and IFAD management will attend the workshop.
- What: National Workshop to present the Country Strategy and Programme Evaluation of IFAD's operations in Nepal. Co-organized by the Government of Nepal and IFAD’s Independent Office of Evaluation, in close collaboration with IFAD's Asia and the Pacific Division.
- When: Thursday 19 December 2019, 8:30-16:40
- Where: Himalaya Hotel, Kathmandu, Nepal
Note to editors:
Media are welcome to attend the national workshop. Please contact Norah De Falco (email@example.com) for accreditation.
The following members of the IFAD delegation will be available for media interviews:
- Donal Brown, Associate Vice-President, Programme Management Department, IFAD;
- Nigel Brett, Director, Asia and the Pacific Division, IFAD;
- Oscar Garcia, Director of the Independent Office of Evaluation of IFAD;
- Fabrizio Felloni, Deputy Director of the Independent Office of Evaluation of IFAD;
- Tarek Kotb, Country Programme Manager, Asia and the Pacific Division, IFAD.
For more information or to schedule an interview:
Norah de Falco
Communication Specialist, Independent Office of Evaluation
Tel. +39 06 5459 2786
Regional Communication Officer, Asia and the Pacific
Tel. +39 3349533030
IFAD invests in rural people, empowering them to reduce poverty, increase food security, improve nutrition and strengthen resilience. Since 1978, we have provided US$21.5 billion in grants and low-interest loans to projects that have reached about 491 million people. IFAD is an international financial institution and a United Nations specialized agency based in Rome – the United Nations’ food and agriculture hub.
About the Independent Office of Evaluation (IOE): IOE conducts evaluations of IFAD-financed policies, strategies and operations to promote accountability and learning. The main purpose is to contribute to improving IFAD's and its partners' performance in reducing rural poverty in recipient countries. IOE's independent evaluations assess the impact of IFAD-funded activities and give an analysis of successes and shortcomings – to tell it the way it is – as well as identify factors affecting performance. Based on the key insights and recommendations drawn from evaluation findings, IOE also communicates and shares IFAD’s knowledge and experience in agriculture and rural development with a wider audience.