Workshop to review evaluation outcomes of IFAD-supported operations in Sri Lanka as well as future development plans
IFAD Asset Request Portlet
Workshop to review evaluation outcomes of IFAD-supported operations in Sri Lanka as well as future development plans04 March 2019
Colombo, 4 March 2019 – The Independent Office of Evaluation of the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and the Government of Sri Lanka are holding a one-day workshop in Colombo to share the conclusions of an independent evaluation of IFAD's country strategy and rural development programme in Sri Lanka.
The workshop will present the main conclusions and recommendations of the evaluation which analyses the past 13 years of rural investment that IFAD has undertaken together with the Government. The event will also be an opportunity to discuss how IFAD can best support the country in developing the rural sector, strengthen policy engagement and partnerships in the country, and better involve the private sector in agricultural value chains and assist smallholder farmers to access credit.
The workshop will bring together rural development experts and evaluators from Sri Lanka, IFAD, and other organizations and international development institutions. Discussions will address key issues and strategic priorities to be included in a new strategy that promotes development effectiveness with the aim of eradicating rural poverty in the country.
- What: National workshop to present the Country Strategy and Programme Evaluation of IFAD's operations in Sri Lanka. Co-organized by the Government of Sri Lanka and IFAD’s Independent Office of Evaluation, in close collaboration with IFAD's Asia and the Pacific Division.
- When: Wednesday 13 March 2019, 9:00 - 16:00
- Where: Taj Samudra Hotel, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Note to editors:
Media are welcome to attend the national workshop. The following members of the IFAD delegation will be available for interviews:
- Donal Brown, Associate Vice-President, Programme Management Department, IFAD;
- Nigel Brett, Director, Asia and the Pacific Division, IFAD;
- Oscar A. Garcia, Director of the Independent Office of Evaluation of IFAD;
- Tarek Kotb, Sri Lanka Country Programme Manager, Asia and the Pacific Division, FAD;
- Fumiko Nakai, Senior Evaluation Officer, Independent Office of Evaluation of IFAD;
Communication focal point in Sri Lanka:
Tel. +94 71 567 9852
For interviews with IFAD staff:
Norah de Falco
Communication Specialist, Independent Office of Evaluation
Tel. +39 06 5459 2786
Regional Communication Officer, Asia and the Pacific
Tel. +39 3349533030
IFAD has invested in rural people for 40 years, empowering them to reduce poverty, increase food security, improve nutrition and strengthen resilience. Since 1978, we have provided US$20.4 billion in grants and low-interest loans to projects that have reached about 480 million people. IFAD is an international financial institution and a specialized United Nations agency based in Rome – the UN’s food and agriculture hub.
About the Independent Office of Evaluation (IOE): IOE conducts evaluations of IFAD-financed policies, strategies and operations to promote accountability and learning. The main purpose is to contribute to improving IFAD's and its partners' performance in reducing rural poverty in recipient countries. IOE's independent evaluations assess the impact of IFAD-funded activities and give an analysis of successes and shortcomings – to tell it the way it is – as well as identify factors affecting performance. Based on the key insights and recommendations drawn from evaluation findings, IOE also communicates and shares IFAD’s knowledge and experience in agriculture and rural development with a wider audience.