International Conference on South-South and Triangular Cooperation
20 - 21 November 2017
An international conference on South-South and Triangular Cooperation (SSTC) titled “Leveraging Innovations from the Global South to Support Rural Transformation” took place in Brasilia, Brazil, on 20-21 November 2017.
The event was organized by IFAD and the Government of Brazil, in partnership with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC), and the and the International Land Coalition (ILC).
The objectives of the conference were to: (i) identify and discuss innovative solutions focusing on agricultural production and productivity, investment promotion, and inclusive information and communication technologies with a specific focus on rural youth and women; and (ii) discuss partnership and cooperation opportunities.
The conference was attended by some 350 participants, including 15 Ministers or Deputy Ministers from all IFAD geographic regions. The IFAD President delivered the inaugural statement, noting, among other things, how IFAD is paying increasing attention to SSTC, which can open up opportunities and access to markets for smallholders. Henrique Dyogo de Oliveira, Brazilian Minister of Planning, Development and Management; and Blairo Borges Maggi Minister for Agriculture, Livestock and Food Supply also delivered remarks in the opening session. They expressed appreciation for their country's partnership with IFAD in combating poverty, and how Brazil has used SSTC as a vehicle for supporting other developing countries.
The conference adopted the "Brasilia Declaration and Action Agenda", which underlines the increasing importance of SSTC as a key development instrument to achieve the sustainable development goals (SDGs). It includes specific action items that IFAD and others will undertake in the coming years to further leverage on SSTC for promoting sustainable and inclusive rural transformation.
The conference featured an exhibition space (a "marketplace") where 13 organizations showcased their rural innovations and solutions implemented in countries where they operate.
The presence of 15 Ministers/Deputy Ministers and key partners provided a unique opportunity to engage in a dialogue about the role of IFAD in the international aid architecture, and how the Fund is further enhancing its attention to SSTC as a mutually reinforcing component of its business model. It also offered the possibility for IFAD to share its evolving priorities and directions and build support for the Fund's ongoing Replenishment.
- South-South and Triangular Cooperation - Highlights from IFAD Portfolio
- Leading the way - new conference promotes rural solutions through SSTC
- Press release: South-South and Triangular Cooperation is key to fighting hunger and poverty and transforming rural communities in developing countries
- Rural solutions video series
- "The growing importance of South-South Cooperation"
- Briefing note for the Ministerial Panel session 1 on "The role and contribution of South-South and Triangular Cooperation in the Sustainable Development Agenda"
- Briefing note for the Ministerial Panel session 2 on "The role of South-South and Triangular Cooperation in supporting inclusive rural transformation"
- Briefing note for the Thematic Panel session 1 " Increasing agricultural production and productivity through improved technology, water management, competitiveness and market access for smallholder farmers: Increasing Climate Resilience of Smallholder Agriculture through South-South and Triangular Cooperation"
- Briefing note for the Thematic Panel session 2 " Boosting investment promotion by increasing financial flows among developing countries"
- Briefing note for the Thematic Panel session 3 "Leveraging information and communication technologies to promote the engagement of youth and women in sustainable and inclusive rural transformation processes"