43rd IFAD Governing Council, 11-12 February 2020
05 February 2020
Rome, 5 February – Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta, President of the Republic of Mali will open the 43rd session of the annual Governing Council meeting of the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD).
The launch of IFAD’s 12th replenishment, mobilizing funds for the most marginalized people in the world, will include notable speakers: Aksel Jakobsen, State Secretary of International Development for the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Agnes Matilda Kalibata, President of the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa and recently named Special Envoy of the Food Systems Summit 2021, Sherrie Silver, award-winning choreographer and IFAD Rural Youth Advocate, and Mr Eazi, Afrobeats singer and songwriter.
The two-day event, taking place on 11-12 February 2020, will focus on the theme: Investing in sustainable food systems to end hunger by 2030. Interactive sessions and events will highlight how IFAD's role and experience in supporting sustainable, inclusive, nutritious and efficient food systems place it in a unique position to contribute to zero hunger.
- Where: Sheikh Zayed Centre, FAO headquarters
- Time: 11 a.m., following the opening ceremony
- What: President of Mali and Gilbert F. Houngbo, IFAD President will discuss the connection between conflict, migration and climate change, the impact on increasing hunger, and the role of long-term rural development in addressing this.
Press lunch event
- Where: Sheikh Zayed Lunch, FAO headquarters
- Time: 11:30 a.m., following the press conference
- What: A conversation with music artists Sherrie Silver and Mr Eazi who will announce the results of their dance challenge campaign, and discuss the importance of investing in rural youth. Immediately following IFAD will provide lunch.
Read the full agenda and follow the webcast for all events here
Accredited press can register for one-on-one interviews with notable personalities participating.
This year, the IFAD Governing Council meeting and media accreditation will take place at FAO headquarters in Rome, Viale delle Terme di Caracalla. Deadline to request accreditation is 17.00 on 07 February 2020. Journalists need to specify for which days they wish to receive accreditation: the 11/02, the 12/02 or for both days. Journalists with camera equipment are requested to arrive no later than 07:45 to ensure access.
- a copy of a valid press card or letter of assignment on company stationery;
- a copy of a valid ID (passport, identity card);
- email to FAO-Newsroom@fao.org and include "Press Accreditation" in the subject line.
Please have all ID materials with you to gain access to FAO premises.
For more information about the accreditation process:
FAO media office, (+39) 06 570 53625, FAO-Newsroom@fao.org
For further information on IFAD’s work, visit the website www.ifad.org