The Smallholder Market-led Project (SMLP)
IFAD Asset Request Portlet
Publicador de contenidos
Smallholder Market-led Project
- the project chiefdoms engage in effective planning and decision-making;
- soil and water resources are sustainably managed for market-led smallholder agriculture in the project chiefdoms; and
- smallholder producers in the project chiefdoms supply crop and livestock products to market partners, while subsistence farmers are enabled to produce sufficient nutritious food for themselves.
The project will be implemented over a six-year period in 25 chiefdoms in the rainfed Middleveld and Lowveld areas of the Lubombo and Shiselweni regions. It will target poor smallholder farmers that are
- food-deficient and living at a subsistence level; and
- economically active and able to sell surplus production.
The farmers will be assisted in increasing their farm productivity and production through access to irrigation, inputs, training and access to services. Economically active farmers will sell surplus production to wholesalers to increase income. Along selected value chains, employment opportunities will be created for young people, for example in managing collection and information centres. The activities are tailored to the capacities of smallholders, including women and families affected by HIV/AIDS.