Fifth global meeting of the Farmers' Forum
The fifth global meeting of the Farmers' Forum took place on 17-18 February 2014, at the beginning of theInternational Year of Family Farming(IYFF 2014).
For IFAD, every year is a year of smallholders and family farmers. But as the Fund enters its tenth replenishment process, the growing global consensus on the need to invest in smallholder family farmers is a sign of hope. It is in this special context that the fifth global meeting of the Farmers' Forum will explore new avenues for operational partnerships between Producers Organizations, Governments and IFAD and a renewed commitment to work together for the future we want.
The Farmer's Forum brought together more than 80 farmers' leaders representing millions of smallholders and rural producers from all over the world who have interacted with IFAD staff and selected partners. The Forum was opened by the President of IFAD, Dr. Kanayo Nwanze and member of IFAD's governing bodies attended the closing session.
As requested in the synthesis of deliberations from the 2012 Farmers' Forum, the 2014 edition of the Forum organized a special session on small-scale fisheries to discuss about specific issues faced by small-scale fishers, map partnership opportunities between IFAD and Fishers and their organizations (FFOs) and design recommendations to IFAD and FFOs in this process.
IFAD presented the participants its report "Partnership in Progress: 2012-2013", reviewing the evolution of the collaboration between IFAD and Farmers' Organizations (FOs) over the last two years.
The Forum provided a wide space to discuss operational matters. To this end, five working group sessions were organized and focused on topics related to the various dimensions of the partnership between IFAD and farmers' organizations:
- Role of FOs to link smallholders to markets on better terms,
- Building of inclusive agricultural policy dialogue platforms at national and regional levels,
- Sharing experiences of the IFAD-funded regional programs in support to FOs,
- Role of FOs and Partners in strengthening resilience against climate change and Role of FOs and partners in strengthening youth participation in agriculture.
During the last session of the Forum, the Final statement of the Farmers' Forum 2014 was read to IFAD management and members of IFAD's governing bodies.
A number of side events and other regional meetings were organized in parallel of IFAD's thirty-seventh Governing council. The side events enabled discussions on topics such as:
- women leadership in Farmer Organizations
- International Year of Family Farming (IYFF)
- agriculture advisory services and Farmer Organizations
- agro-ecological peasant agriculture
- farmers in the governance of agriculture research and innovation for development
- Purchase for Progress Program
- presentation of a publication on "Family farming of the world".