Recipes for Change: Somlar Kako (Cambodian Curry)
Try the Recipe at home: Somlar Kako (Cambodian Curry)
Nutritional values per serving:
- Calories: 880 • Fat: 49.1g •Carbs: 63.5g •Protein: 48.2g
- 200g sliced pork belly and/or 450g sliced firm-flesh fish (such as catfish)
- 1 tbsp prahok (Khmer fish paste)
- 3 tbsp green kroeung paste (green spicy paste)
- 2 tbsp tik trei (fish sauce)
- 2 tsp palm sugar
- 4 tbsp ground roasted rice
- 1.1 litres chicken or fish stock
- 200g each of: pumpkin sliced into chunks, shredded green papaya, chopped small eggplant and sliced long beans
- 1 shredded green plantain
- 1 pack of trob put-nhorng (pea eggplant)
- 2 handfuls sleuk ma-raeh (or spinach)
- A few bird’s eye chillies for garnish
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat, add pork and stir-fry until golden brown
- Add kroeung, stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in fish and prahok, fry for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Lower heat, remove fish, cover to keep warm and set aside.
- Turn heat to medium, stir in pumpkin, green papaya and long beans; mix.
- Pour in stock and roasted ground rice. Bring to a boil, cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Return fish to mix, add plantain, crushed pea eggplant and chopped eggplant; bring back to boil.
- Add salt, sugar and tik trei.
- Lower heat, cook covered for 10-12 minutes until vegetables are tender and fish is cooked through. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Stir in sleuk ma-raeh and remove from heat immediately.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with chillies. Serve hot with steamed jasmine rice.
- Extreme weather events – flooding
- Shorter rainy seasons and longer dry seasons, leading to increased pests and diseases
- Less rainfall and higher temperatures, affecting rice paddies
IFAD’s ASAP solutions
- Using plastic mulches and drip irrigation with more nutritious crops such as broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, cucumbers, tomatoes
- Improved access to markets through farm business advisers
- Planting different rice varieties (short-, medium- and long-term) with improved low-cost technologies (drum seeders)
- Promoting integrated farming systems and biogas digesters