Recipes for Change: Vai Ika (Tuna and taro leaves)
- Calories: 554
- Fat: 20g
- Carbs: 11g
- Protein: 81g
- 2 kg of fresh tuna meat, sliced 1cm in width
- 10 washed taro leaves (or equivalent dark leafy greens including collards, silver beet, large spinach or kale)
- 500 ml of coconut milk
- 1 medium sized onion
- 3 green spring onions/shallots
- 3 fresh chillies Salt
- Preheat oven to 185°C (365°F).
- Place two large sheets of aluminium foil (approx. 60 cm
in length) on baking tray. In the middle of the foil, place 4-6 green leaves, side by side with no gaps.
- Season the tuna with a little salt, and place in the centre of the foil on top of the leaves. Fold up the sides of the foil to form a leak-proof parcel.
- Add onion, spring onions, chilli and coconut milk on top of the tuna, and cover with remaining green leaves.
- Wrap everything inside the foil into a parcel.
- Place parcel in a deep baking tray and bake for approx.
- Remove from oven and carefully unwrap foil and transfer to
- Serve immediately.
- Increased occurrence of droughts are causing lower taro yields and higher prices
- Rising sea levels will eventually impact on
- Increases in frequency of climate events
- Offering alternative or climate resilient seed strains to replace taro.
- Providing training and capacity building exercises for rural communities to better enable them to deal with the effects of climate change.