Types of employment
IFAD advertises vacancies at both General Service and Professional staff levels.
Professional-level positions, with the exception of more junior roles, normally require an advanced university degree. The detailed required qualifications and experience are specified in the job description of the vacant position.
How to apply: Apply to our vacancies through the application system
These assignments are opportunities to provide additional support to regular staff functions. The salary range is according to job experience and assignment. Short-term professionals can be employed in the same division for a maximum period of 18 months, which can exceptionally be extended for another 18 months in another one.
The required qualifications and experience varies based on the specific short-term assignment.
Associate Professional Officer (APO) positions are sponsored by Member States interested in investing in young, university-trained nationals of their own countries or of other countries.
- Candidates must be less than 32 years of age
- Hold a first university degree; relevant advanced university degree can be an asset
- Have at least three years post-degree professional experience
- Be fluent in English; fluency in other IFAD official languages is an asset.
How to apply: Candidates may send their applications to the relevant government office.
The Internship Programme (IP) and the Enhanced Internship Programme (EIP) offer a unique learning experience of six months to recent university graduates or students who are specializing in areas of work relevant to IFAD's mission.
- Candidates must be enrolled in a university or graduate school, have attended courses in the last 12 months, and have completed at least two years' undergraduate studies when joining IFAD through the programme
- Have recently completed their university studies at the undergraduate or postgraduate level
- Be fluent in English; fluency in other IFAD official languages is an asset
- Be 30 years of age or younger.
The EIP, in particular, is designed to enhance geographic distribution of staff at IFAD and is open to candidates who meet the above eligibility criteria and who are not based in Rome.
In addition to a monthly allowance, enhanced interns receive a housing and travel allowance.
How to apply for EIP: Apply through the application system.
These are designed for junior and senior experts whose skills are required for specific project assignments. Qualifications and experience in the relevant field are required.
Fees range according to job experience and assignment. Consultants can be recruited for a maximum of 11 months in a 12-month period.
IFAD partners with other organizations and governments for the recruitment of fellows, special programme officers and other individuals through special agreements. Employment opportunities vary based on the agreement between IFAD and the sponsor.