Rural transformation that lasts
We envision vibrant, inclusive and sustainable rural economies, where people live free from poverty and hunger.
Our mission is to transform rural economies and food systems by making them more inclusive, productive, resilient and sustainable. We invest in the millions of people who are most at risk of being left behind: poor, small-scale food producers, women, young people and other vulnerable groups living in rural areas.
IFAD is the only specialized global development organisation exclusively focused on and dedicated to transforming agriculture, rural economies and food systems. We target our support to reach the last mile and remotest areas, to help millions of rural people to:
- Increase their productivity and access markets
- Create and access jobs and rural economic growth
- Increase their incomes, move out of poverty and improve their food and nutrition security
- Build their resilience in the face of a changing climate and manage the natural resource base sustainably
- Improve their coping mechanisms in fragile and conflict environments
- Strengthen their voice, capacities and organizations
IFAD catalyses public and private investments, helps strengthen policies and promotes innovation, in order to achieve sustainable benefits for the poor at scale and support all countries to achieve lasting, systemic change. We work with governments, the private sector, civil society and other development partners and use a range of instruments, tools and knowledge to respond to the challenges facing countries with the most critical needs.