The United Nations will present a new report on food and nutrition security in Latin America and the Caribbean
FAO, IFAD, PAHO/WHO, UNICEF and WFP will launch a report focusing on the territorial dimension of malnutrition, child overweight and stunting
27 November 2020
On December 2, at 10:30 Santiago de Chile time, the United Nations will present the new edition of the report Panorama of food and nutritional security in Latin America and the Caribbean 2020, focused on the territories that suffer the highest rates of malnutrition, stunring and overweight.
The Panorama 2020 analyzes the territorial inequality of malnutrition and calls on countries to focus their investments and policies on lagging territories. The report warns that the pandemic is hitting the region at a time when food security was already in decline: the number of people affected by hunger grew by 13 million in the last five years alone, and one in three inhabitants of Latin America did not have access to nutritious and sufficient food in 2019.
The Panorama will be presented through a Zoom press conference by authorities of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO/WHO), the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the World Food Program (WFP).
WHAT: Panorama of food and nutrition security in Latin America and the Caribbean 2020.
WHEN: December 2, 2020, 10:30 am from Santiago de Chile, 8:30 am from Washington, DC
- Julio Berdegué, FAO Regional Representative for Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Rossana Polastri, IFAD Regional Director for Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Youssouf Abdel-Jelil, UNICEF Deputy Regional Director for Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Anselm Hennis, Director of the PAHO / WHO Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health.
- Miguel Barreto, Regional Director for Latin America and the Caribbean WFP.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
Journalists interested in participating in the press conference can access the meeting via Zoom, and send their questions via chat, at the following link:
- Join Zoom Meeting: https://fao.zoom.us/j/95478813064
- Meeting ID: 954 7881 3064
- Clave: 799165
Interviews and full report under embargo
To request an interview, or request the full report under embargo, write to María Elena Álvarez, email@example.com
- FAO / María Elena Álvarez, firstname.lastname@example.org, +56978625443
- IFAD / Juan Ignacio Cortés, email@example.com, +34 680 22 05 66.
- PAHO / WHO / Sebastian Oliel / Daniel Epstein, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 202 316 5679
- UNICEF / María Alejandra Berroterán email@example.com +50762972099
- PMA / Elio Rujano, firstname.lastname@example.org +50766770608