Recipes for Change: Lentil and sorghum curry with flatbread (liphaphatha)
IFAD Asset Request Portlet
Recipes for Change: Lentil and sorghum curry with flatbread (liphaphatha)المقدر للقراءة دقيقة 2
This dish is Chef Ska Moteane’s take on a traditional Lesotho recipe. It combines sorghum, a drought-tolerant crop grown in Lesotho, with lentils, a legume that takes well to the country’s cold highland villages, and adds a burst of nutrient-packed vegetables and fragrant curry spices.
130 g sorghum grains
45 ml cooking oil
1 large onion, finely diced
45 g mild curry powder
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large green pepper, diced
15 g turmeric
3 medium tomatoes, peeled and finely diced
260 g lentils
Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook the sorghum grains in water and simmer for 1 ½ hours, or until the grains are tender.
- Once the sorghum is cooked, remove from heat and put aside.
- In a medium to large pot, heat the cooking oil.
- Add the onion and sauté for 3–4 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and green pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, tomatoes, cooked sorghum and lentils, along with enough water to completely cover the lentils.
- Add the salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 40 minutes on low heat, or until the lentils are soft.
- Serve with flatbread, rice or any starch of your choice.
تاريخ النشر: 10 يونيو 2022