Promoting Market-Oriented Agriculture for Smallholder Farmers through the SHEP Approach - Innovation for Agricultural Extension Services
IFAD Asset Request Portlet
Promoting Market-Oriented Agriculture for Smallholder Farmers through the SHEP Approach
24 أغسطس 2022
Innovation for Agricultural Extension Services
Time: 12:30 - 14:00 CET
The Smallholder Horticulture Empowerment and Promotion (SHEP) approach transforms farmers’ mindset from "grow and sell" to "grow to sell," helping them increase their income with adequately supported technical and marketing competencies.
This approach, developed in Kenya with the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), has been used by international organizations to support smallholder farmers. An impact evaluation in Kenya found that SHEP increased horticultural income by an average of 70 per cent over two years.
At the Tokyo International Conference on African Development in 2019, a joint declaration was made to "better lives of one million smallholder farmers through the SHEP approach”. This event will present the results of efforts to achieve the joint declaration as well as an overview of SHEP expansion programmes and impact study results.
Registration closes at 10am (CET) on 23 August 2022.
Photo © JICA
- Hon. Minister A.T. Didiza, The Department of Agriculture Land Reform and Rural Development, Republic of South Africa
- Hon. Minister Pr. Moussa Baldé, The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Equipment, Republic of Senegal (TBC)
- Ms. Satu Santala, Associate Vice-President, External Relations and Governance Department, IFAD
- Mr. KUBOTA Osamu, Vice-President, JICA
- Ms. Sara Mbago-Bhunu, Regional Director, East and Southern Africa Division, Programme Management Department, IFAD
- Dr. Kristin Davis, Senior Research Fellow, IFPRI
- Mr. John Preissing, Deputy Director, FAO
- Prof. Dr. Maina Mwangi, Associate Professor, Kenyatta University
- Dr. SHIMIZUTANI Satoshi, Executive Senior Research Fellow, JICA Ogata Research Institute for Peace and Development
- Dr. AIKAWA Jiro, Senior Advisor, JICA